Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blogs or Wikis in my Classes?

I envision using Blogs in my Web Design courses as a means of increasing communication with students in my courses - outside of Blackboard. I use Blackboard for more formal communication, such as assignments, grades, syllabus, etc. I see the use of a blog as a less formal and more personal communication method that could be used for all of my classes in one place. It could include tips and tricks used in the industry, updates on software, jobs leads, interesting anecdotes, and information about MATC's Web Designer program. I could link to it from Blackboard using announcements or emails sent from Blackboard. I would not use it for personal information. I would most likely setup a blog using a dedicated domain name, such as matcwebdesigner.info, rather than a subdomain at wordpress.com or blogger.com. I could install WordPress or Joomla on a server that I maintain or one used here at MATC in the VICOM department.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. But, why would you use a dedicated domain name rather than a subdomain? What would the benefits be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gets more complicated by the post. I still am not at all proficient in blackboard despite taking 2 blackboard classes. Ah technology! I did not see a TV until I was 7 years old. Definitely a different generation.

    ReplyDelete