Friday, October 2, 2009

VoiceThread for Student Critique Sessions

After seeing Mark Mankowski's brief demo on VoiceThread (http://voicethread.com) in class last night, I started to think about how I could use that tool in my courses. It didn't take long to come up with an idea. Students in my Web Design classes demonstrate their final projects at the end of every class. We do a critique session in class. I've struggled to replicate that for online classes. I currently have students post links to the web sites in a discussion forum in Blackboard and then their classmates participate in a critique using the discussion board. I think that I could replace (or augment) that with a critique session using VoiceThread where students could leave their audible comments on the projects of their classmates.

Thanks Mark!

2 comments:

  1. There are links on our wiki "Class 4" that may be helpful to you if you are interested in using VoiceThread in your classes:
    1. An Educator's Guide to Using VoiceThread.pdf
    2. Introduction to VoiceThread.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. There are video and mark-up tools that would be very useful for this critiquing process.

    FYI A free VoiceThread account allows a user to only create three threads. If you find this too limiting to use in your classes you might need to invest in a higher ed account for about $5 a month. Check out details at: http://voicethread.com/pricing/highered/

    ReplyDelete