Monday, October 5, 2009

Teach Naked?

I thought that title might get your attention. Here's a link to an interesting article entitled "College technology 'catching up' with students" found in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-10-05-college-technology_N.htm

From the article:

"Jose Bowen, a dean at the Dallas-based Southern Methodist University, recently stripped computers from lecture halls. He challenged staff instead to "teach naked" — without computers in the classroom."

1 comment:

  1. How do you feel about this? It is irritating when you feel you are competing for your students' attention. But, as soon as I feel I'm losing them, I know I have to change what I'm doing to draw them back in. Perhaps we lose our students because our method of teaching isn't interesting enough, or they don't see the relevancy of what we're trying to communicate.
    Is this the same dean who told the students they could no longer bring their laptops to school? I know a lot of students who type much faster than they write for note-taking. And, yes, often they are on AIM at the same time...But, at least they're in class. I don't think banning technology is sending the best answer. We've got to find a way to make it our ally in class rather than our rival.

    ReplyDelete